Top Baby Boy Names for 2023
What are the top baby names of 2023 for boys that will rule the charts this year? Find out the latest trends based on safe predictions! This time of the year, we sit down with our top baby names experts and craft the list of top baby names 2023 for boys. Our vast database is being reviewed regularly so that we spot trends and identify which boy names are heating more than usual. We then receive feedback from baby name researchers who are very serious about naming a baby. With their deep knowledge of each baby name’s meaning and origin, we help parents who are expecting a newborn baby find new baby name ideas and explore different possibilities.
Trends and Expert Predictions for the Top Baby Names for Boys
The top baby names of 2023 come from different areas of the world and are based on popular names that are trending for a reason. If you don’t want to name your baby after a weird or rare name that no one will remember, check out the following list of beautiful and cute boy names. We have hand-picked each and everyone for a reason. Let us walk you through the complexities of naming a baby and break down all the options for you. Get a pen and paper so that you make your own shortlist. Ask yourself what is more important for you. Legacy, history, popularity, art or science, nature, and inspirational message?
The top Baby names of 2023 are not a mystery anymore! Thanks to our experts, the secrets of top boy names for 2023 are revealed so that parents can confidently decide on their babies’ names. The list of popular baby names has been chosen carefully to reflect all the latest trends. We have based our predictions on strong evidence from many different data sources. This way, we ensure that each entry of this top baby names list has been cross-checked and earned its spot the hard way.
Top baby names for boys are inspired by celebrities and their children. Inspiration can also be drawn from the royal family that welcomed a new member amidst the media frenzy for the heir to the British throne. Blockbuster Hollywood movies and successful T.V. series also play an important role, as usual, in forming the hottest baby names. We will analyze each entry and provide background information on why we think they deserve to be listed as top baby names. Of course, we won’t leave out the name meanings and their origin. By our well-known and trusted methodology, we are delivering the safest bets on predicting top baby names for boys. Our step-by-step approach to baby names shows that our name experts are doing all the hard work for you, striving to maximize the success rate of our predictions. We look forward to seeing how the new year will bring new baby names and how we have performed in terms of predictions. Everyone likes to know the outcome of his research being confirmed!
Top Baby Boy Names for 2023
- Alastair: fuelled by the royal family, Alastair will be hugely successful in 2023. How? Alastair is a cool spelling variation of the Scottish name Alasdair, which derives from a Gaelic form of Alexander. See the royal connection now? We must admit it is not so obvious at first sight, but this doesn’t mean it doesn’t have royal blood flowing in its veins! The meaning Alastair is the defender of the people (same as Alexander’s name meaning). Before the royal baby name Alexander was revealed, Alastair was made known to the wider public through the prominent British journalist Alastair Campbell who turned into an author. His no.1 bestseller titled “The Blair Years” (get it now from Amazon) received critical acclaim from book critics worldwide. In addition, the book unveiled a lot of secrets about the former British prime minister. Thus, Alastair might be perfect for boys who aspire to be Pulitzer-awarded journalists one day!
- Alejandro: Birdman is one of the most iconic movies, set to rule the Oscars and the Golden Globe Awards. Since his epic movie received international critical acclaim, director and screenwriter Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu is already a winner in the eyes of millions of moviegoers. So what’s a better way to celebrate your love for films rather than pick one of the top baby names for boys right now in Hollywood? Alejandro is the Spanish version of Alexander, which means protector of the people. It has an attractive and mysterious Latin aura around it. The letter -j in the middle of this wonderful boy’s name makes it energetic, while the -o ending gives it a hipster boost, suitable for modern parents.
- Atticus: another Hollywood favorite, makes a favorite choice for American parents this year. Suppose you liked the intensity of Gone Girl. In that case, you must have noticed the amazing score that Atticus and Atticus Ross created for the action movie. Atticus is rising so fast in popularity that we predict it will be found on the top 10 baby boy names at the end of the year. It’s not just Gone Girl, though. We find Atticus in Harper Lee’s iconic novel “To Kill a Mockingbird,” considered one of the most significant pieces of American literature in the 20th century. Thus, Atticus combines the pop culture of Hollywood movies with the elegant and intellectual world of books and writers. A winning combo that will make a difference!
- Benedict: the story of the famous mathematician Alan Turing was introduced to a wider audience for the first time this year through the “Imitation Games” film. When we saw Benedict Cumberbatch cracking the Nazi code during World War II and helping the allies reach the final victory over fascism, we fell in love with the name. Benedict has all the qualities that his parents are looking for. First, it’s popular since Benedict Cumberbatch is one of the hottest movie stars. It’s rooted back to Shakespeare which adds to the historical importance and legacy of an artistic name from the world’s best theater. So if you have had enough of Benjamin but still like the sound of Ben- as a name suffix- Benedict is ideal for you.
- Clive: one of the top baby names for boys of English origin. The meaning of Clive is the one who lives near a high cliff. Clive Owen has worked wonders in turning the image of this name into a real gem. Owen’s amazing performance in the popular T.V. series The Knick earned him a nomination to the Golden Globes. It gave the name a fancy boost toward fame. There is also a famous writer named Clive Barker, and we are sure that your handsome boy will love this British name when he expands into an international lifestyle of jet-setting around the globe!
- Cyril: let’s stay on the intellectual path a little longer and explore another all-time classic name that will see a rejuvenation in the top baby names charts. Cyril has Greek origin and a heavenly meaning of “lordly.” Ideal for devoted Christians looking for a fresh baby name for their cute son. It can also be an awesome idea for parents who would like to see their baby boy grow up as an inventor since Cyril was the missionary who invented the Cyrillic alphabet during the 19th century. Moreover, the internationally acclaimed Irish poet Oscar Wilde picked Cyril as his son’s name, strengthening the ties of this name with literature and famous scholars.
- Dominic: speaking of international careers, Dominic has just been issued a passport from France and is ready to take over America! Thanks to the enigmatic actor Dominic West (from the blockbuster series The Wire), the name has risen to number 68. It has no signs of stopping its quest to the top. We love the way Dominic sounds without going too European like Dominique. Religious parents will also find this choice interesting since the meaning of Dominic belongs to the Lord. In fact, many saints and important figures from the Roman Catholic Church bear the name Dominic.
- Edwin: it’s been around for ages and has been for a reason. Parents seem to love this Victorian baby name that has an English origin. The meaning of Edwin is a wealthy friend and will suit perfectly for career-oriented parents who have big dreams for their baby boys. A safe choice that is always relevant and will have no problems making it into any top baby names chart. Last year, it secured a pretty good spot landing on no.282! However, our predictions based on the latest trends show that it has the potential to go even higher.
- Everett: nature baby boy names are a rising trend that experts have identified. Everett is one of the top baby boy names inspired by nature. It’s a macho name with a strong meaning, brave as a boar. Everett’s tough-looking image is softened by the double-tt ending, which makes it different from the rest of the pack. It has German origin and has taken its current English form via Eberhard. Everett is a star performer that recorded a meteoric rise in the last few years and can now be found at no.189! It is one of the fastest-rising baby boy names that make a strong statement about the person and the family that will choose it. If the trend continues, we can easily see Everett within the top 100 names in the U.S., so keep an eye on this!
- George: long live the King! We call it the U.K. because it’s still a Kingdom. And every kingdom deserves a worthy king with a name of rich royal heritage. Prince William and Kate Middleton’s beautiful son was born on July 22, 2013. A few days later, the royal family announced the handsome baby boy’s name, George Alexander Louis. This has put an end to the betting fever that consumed most bookies around the world. In fact, George has confirmed most of the rumors, and it came as no surprise, as the royal family is all about preserving its tradition. The meaning of George might be humble (it means farmer), and its origin might not come from a place known for its Monarchy (its roots can be found in the country that gave birth to Democracy, Greece). However, it will conquer all baby names charts and rule as a true King!
- Gideon: looking for Biblical baby names, but you can’t afford to have one more Jacob around? No worries, we got you covered! Why don’t you choose Gideon, a Hebrew name representing someone having a stump for a hand. Gideon has been neglected, but it’s time for a grant comeback, as top baby names are forming to have a particular favor for symbols. A boy named Gideon is someone who is destined to create the finest kind of work achieved only by very few people. Now that’s the kind of name meaning we call truly inspirational (along with some other great inspirational quotes that can motivate people).
- Gilbert: German baby names like Gilber will enjoy a modern rebirth. What was once considered a vintage baby name, it’s an all-time favorite for American parents who consistently showed their love for Gilbert. The name rose all the way up to #121 and will continue its rise to the top! The meaning of Gilbert is the shining pledge, and you might also see it as his cool alternatives Gibby or just Gib (short baby names are always hot.
- Isaiah: Hebrew baby names are hot as ever. Research shows that Isaiah is set for a huge comeback after years of staying away from the wide parental audience. The meaning of Isaiah is the salvation of the Lord, and in case you don’t know, he was one of the top prophets in the Old Testament. According to the Bible, Isaiah was the son of Amos. He was such an important religious figure that one of the Old Testament books was named after him. Retired professional basketball player and NBA superstar Allen Iverson, also known as A.I. (his initials) or the nickname The Answer, named his son Isaiah. Surely an MVP among the baby names dream team!
- Liev: unconventional and strong; this macho boy name will add a tough image to your baby boy. We live in a complex world where the strongest strive, so why not equip your beloved baby boy with a powerful name? Thanks to the up-and-rising actor Liev Schreiber who played Ray Donovan, this name is gaining popularity. It deserves a spot at the top baby names for boys. The true meaning of Liev is heart, which makes a nice contradiction to the tough image of Liev. It will remind your son that everything in life has two sides. That even the strongest men can cry when their heart is broken. And that’s one of the most wonderful lessons you can give him in life. Expressing feelings, not holding them all inside. Our baby names experts suggest that the origin of Liev is Yiddish, as it’s one of the many variations of the name Lev which also means lion in Russian. Coincidence? I don’t think so! There is no such thing in life, especially when you study closer the associations and links of baby names.
- Louis: the third name of the royal baby was set to be Louis honoring so many other kings that bore the same name before him. Typical for French monarchs, Louis means renowned warrior. Apart from the royal baby, several hot celebrities have also chosen it as the name of their pretty boys. “Astronaut” Sandra Bullock is a busy mom when she is not spinning in space (we are talking about her remarkable performance in the box office hit Gravity), and a very stylish one as she chose Louis for her baby boy’s name before the royal baby name was announced, proving once again her famous forward-thinking ability.
- Mateo: short names will remain top choices for baby names, and Mateo is no exception. The Spanish form of Matthew, which means gift of God, will be both attractive and hot for the new year. There is also a pop/RnB singer called Mateo, whose real name is Iman Jordan, releasing albums from the same label as Alicia Keys. Mateo is huge in Europe and especially hot in Croatia, where it was introduced by the Italian Matteo. We can’t help but admit that it’s a sexy baby boy name that girl will find hard to resist.
- Owen: let us move into unisex baby names and present you with a Welsh name rising like a rocket through the charts! The meaning of Owen is a young warrior and was originally used for well-born children. No wonder why parents adore this evocative Celtic name with such an expressing meaning. We included Owen in the top baby names list for boys because its vibrant sound appeals to celebrities like Emmy Awarded T.V. host Ricki Lake.
Check baby name meanings or explore the best baby names, including famous names,
unusual names, cool names, names by ethnic groups, and many more!Baby Names
- Rhys: another unisex name that has been haunting American parents lately. Rhys is an evocative short baby boy name of Welsh origin. The meaning of Rhys is ardor, and you can find it in the top 500 baby names in the U.S. It’s a cool alternative to the more common Reece or Reese, which tends to be given more to baby girls rather than baby boys. We predict that we will hear more of Rhys in the coming year’s thanks to Tudors star Jonathan Rhys Meyers. The sexy young actor brought the name into the mainstream, and since then, there has been a spike in popularity. Who knows, maybe we’ll see it climb up to the top 100 baby boy names, as it’s already no.70 in most parts of the U.K.
- Tobias: the third Biblical name found on this top baby names for boys list which is trending in the U.S. according to official SSA data. The Social Security list shows that Tobias is climbing plenty of spots each year, which makes us confident enough to predict that he will be one of the top baby names for boys. The meaning of Tobias is God is good, and its origin is Greek from Hebrew. According to the Old Testament, Tobias was the son of Tobit, who met the mighty Archangel Raphael and didn’t realize it was a heavenly creature he encountered. The angel gave specific instructions regarding what Tobias should do when he catches a big fish. This wonderful story from the Bible is full of symbols (read the full analysis here). Toby is also a cool short alternative that started as a nickname but developed as a new entry for baby names.
- Toby: Biblical baby names were in the spotlight. But we wanted to go beyond that trend and offer alternatives that add something new to the top baby names for boys. So that’s how we came up with Toby. It derives from the popular biblical name Tobias but has a more laid-back image. The origin of this amazing boy’s name is Hebrew, and it means God is Good. And if you are looking for a celebrity endorsement, check out Tobey Maguire, most known for his Spiderman roles.
- Zinedine: if you are a soccer fan, you must be already familiar with Zinedine Zidan. The French football superstar was the captain of the national team of France for many years and has been awarded several cups and championships. Zidan might be retired now, but he will be forever remembered as one of the greatest midfielders that played on great European teams like Real Madrid and Juventus. As you can imagine, Zinedine is synonymous with sports, so it’s perfect if you look for baby boy names inspired by athletes. The origin of Zinedine is not French, though. In fact, it has roots in the Arabic language, where it has the meaning of beauty of the faith. Combining religion with sports is a unique match that will take your baby boy to the highest levels of popularity in school and further in his life.
More Baby Names for Boys
- Top Unisex Baby Names
- Exotic Baby Boys Names
- Elegant Names for Baby Boys
- Rare Baby Boy Names
- Classic and Uncommon Boy Names
- Vintage Boy Names
- Calm Names for Boys
- Hollywood-Inspired Baby Boy Names
- 30 Great Athletic Baby Names for Boys and Girls
- 20 Superhero Baby Names for Boys
- Animal Inspired Baby Names
- 1000+ Greek Baby Names and Meanings
- Baby Names Inspired by Greek Mythology
- Baby Names for the 4th of July