Hipster Baby Names for Girls that Sound Cool
What are the most Hipster Baby Names for Girls?
Define your daughter as effortless, cool, vintage, and undoubtedly edgy by giving her one of the top hipster baby names for girls! Hipster baby names are the epitome of cool. They are specially designed for parents who follow all the latest trends and fashions. Hipster baby names were hand-picked to represent the values of real hipsters. Beyond a deep appreciation of art, independent thinking and progressive political views define them as creative and intelligent. Hipster baby names for girls are designed to give an edge to your beautiful daughter by making her unique. She will stand out, and her friends will remember her cool name no matter what. Hipster baby names for girls can also help your little angel be a non-mainstream person who does not always go with the flow. If you care about your kids’ future, it’s essential to pay attention to their names; we are here to help provide you with the best alternatives.
Hipster baby names reflect the counter-culture of hipsters and have witty banter. It’s often said that “hipsterism” is not just a trend of specific clothes or haircuts; it’s more like a state of mind. Suppose you like your baby girl to reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers. In that case, the following hipster baby names are a perfect fit. Little girls are fashion-conscious these days. They care more and more about how they look and how other people see them. Their image is essential because it defines them in school. Hipster baby names can help them have yet another tool to be different. The more you help them be unique, the more they will love you. It’s a successful recipe that all experienced parents learn after many tries. You should know better, don’t you think?
The Best Hipster Girl Names
- Delilah: it’s not uncommon to find biblical references among hipster baby names, and Delilah is not an exception. A baby name of Hebrew origin, Delilah, describes the seductive girl, the femme fatale. According to the Bible, Delilah “trolled” Samson into revealing his dreadful secret: the source of his incredible strength, i.e., his long hair. After making him drink too much and dancing a very sensual dance, Delilah made Samson go to sleep and cut his hair. When Samson woke up, he was tight with strong ropes and blinded. He became so angry that he tore apart the entire building and found tragic death. Beware of Delilah!
- Edna: a baby name of Hebrew origin that means delight, pleasure, or rejuvenation. It has a hipster connection because of Irish novelist Edna O’Brien (born 1930) and lyrical poet Edna St. Vincent Millay (born 1892). However, the name Edna derives from the Bible, where it was used in Hebrew as a synonym for the Garden of Eden. So, with a simple twist in the sequence of letters, you get a totally fresh and modern name that appeals to hipsters worldwide.
- Fifi: okay, maybe you wouldn’t name your baby girl Yolo, but how about Fifi? Let’s break down the meaning of this name that belongs to the acronym hipster baby names. Fifi is also the diminutive of Josephine, a French name that is actually the feminine version of Joseph. As you can see, Fifi’s origin is religious, even though it’s not obvious from the first look. That’s why we love breaking down the meaning of hipster baby names and presenting you with the best alternatives so you can see which one is the best for you. Did you know that Napoleon’s wife was also a Joséphine? That’s right, you have a high-profile name right here!
- Flannery: It used to be a boy’s name (Flann), but this variation is more for baby girls mainly because of the writer and essayist Flannery O’Connor (1925-1964). Flannery is an Irish baby name that means red-haired.
- Hazel: among the Hipster baby names inspired by reality shows, thanks to Big Brother’s Hazel O’Sullivan. Hazel O’Sullivan grabbed viewers’ attention nationwide with her sassy pranks on fellow housemate Daley Ojuederie. This earned her a near-hero status among hipsters. Julia Roberts’s daughter is named Hazel, and in Hunger Games, we can find a Hazelle in the characters list. Also, just to link with Flannery O’Connor discussed above, in her 1952 novel titled Wise Blood, the protagonist was named Hazel Motes. Apart from her hipster status and the obvious celebrity link, Hazel is a beautiful baby name associated with nature, so it’s a perfect fit for eco-conscious parents.
- Iris: a Greek baby name that derives from the flower Iris and its meaning is rainbow. It is clearly one of the coolest hipster baby names due to its appeal to celebrities. Leslie Mann, Renee O’Connor, and Jude Law named their baby girls Iris. According to ancients Greek myths, Iris was the messenger for Hera and Zeus. She used to ride rainbows and people of her time imagined this amazing optical illusion as the 7-colored bridge that connected heaven to earth. Iris often reflected majesty and power. Don’t forget that the colored part of the eye is also called Iris, so you can understand that it can be found everywhere!
- Isla: you can find Isla on the list of Hipster baby names because of the hotwife of SachaBaron Cohen, Isla Fisher. The young red-haired actress was born to Scottish parents in Oman. So Isla is a Scottish river, after all. The meaning of Isla is an island (Isla-nd). We can also find this hipster name as one of the Harry Potter fictional characters, Isla Black Hitchens.
- Lulu: a diminutive form of Lucy or Louise. Lulu means pearl, and it was one of the hottest names when the SSA list of popular baby names was born in 1880. It’s now coming back with a vengeance! Baby name researchers suggest that Lulu has at least two different origins. The first one is German as it derives from a group of names that start with the prefix Lu-, for example, Luise. The second path goes East and has an Arabic origin since Lulu means pearl in this language. Who would have thought? A beautiful gem name is hidden under such a short and sweet name.
- Maisie: all hipsters are fans of Game of Thrones, so 16-year-old English actress Maisie Williams who plays Arya in the popular TV series, is a clear connection. That’s why the name is so popular in Britain! The origin of Maisie is from Margaret, and its meaning is pearl. And as most hipster baby names, Maisie can be found in Harry Potter as a half-blood character.
- Matilda: a vintage baby name that is now cool again thanks to Gordon Ramsey’s daughter in 2002 and more recently due to Heath Ledger naming his baby girl Matilda. A baby name of German origin which means battle-might. Matilda also had an appearance in Charles Dickens’s Nicholas Nickleby.
- Neva: a hipster baby name of Spanish origin that means white snow. Neva sounds exotic and has an element of purity and a clean aura that makes it popular among hipsters. In addition, Neva is a diminutive of Geneva, which means this name can also be linked with the famous European city of Switzerland, best known for the luxury watches it produces. So if you are a Rolex collector or just a fan of elegant accessories, Neva might be a serious contender for you!
- Pandora: I must admit, we struggled with this one. Pandora was heading to the burdensome baby names list as Pandora’s box was known to contain all world’s evils. But then, we thought that Pandora means gifted, and it’s a scarce and unique name, so it goes well with the hipster mentality of non-mainstream attitude.
- Romy: a diminutive form of Rosemary, a herb and a combination of Rose and Mary. Celebrities love any name that starts with Rom, for example, Romeo and Rowan, so it’s only natural that Romy became popular among hipsters.
- Ruby: a Latin-origin baby name representing the deep red precious stone ruby. Although other gem names like Crystal or Pearl are considered too old-fashioned, Ruby is a superb choice from hipster parents. For example, Hollywood star Tobey Maguire’s daughter’s name is Ruby.
- Savannah: it sounds Hebrew, but it’s actually Spanish. It became popular among hipsters after appearing in the “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” bestseller. The meaning of Savannah is a flat tropical grassland, and Desperate Housewives’ Marcia Cross chose this hipster baby name for her twin daughter.
- Scout: the famous daughter of Hollywood superstars Demi Moore and Bruce Willis, had shot Scout into the top charts of hipster baby names. It can be used for either baby girl or baby boy, making it a perfect choice for twins or for parents who prefer unisex baby names.
- Tallulah: the English version of the Irish name Tuilelaith. Tallulah is trending among celebrities and has risen to the top of the hipster baby names list. Damian Dash, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel Roy, Sara Rue and Patrick Dempsey have all chosen the same name for their daughters. So keep an eye on this one!
100 Popular Hipster Baby Names for Girls
|Bretta||Meaning: “From Britanny or Britain; from Brittany or Great Britain.” (Latin origin).|
|Harlow||Meaning: “Rock Hill.” (English origin).|
|Keeley||Meaning: “Slender, pretty.” (Gaelic origin).|
|Rosalie||Meaning: “Rose flower.” (French origin).|
|Clementine||Meaning: “Merciful.” (Latin origin).|
|Cosette||Meaning: “People of victory.” (Greek origin).|
|Echo||Meaning: “Reflected sound.” (Latin origin).|
|Trixie||Meaning: “Blessed and happy.” (Latin origin).|
|Flora||Meaning: “Flower.” (Latin origin).|
|Venus||Meaning: “Love.” (Latin origin).|
|Magnolia||Meaning: “Magnolia flower.” (English origin).|
|Bonnie||Meaning: “Fine, attractive, pretty.” (Scottish origin).|
|Lark||Meaning: “Bird.” (English origin).|
|Beatrix||Meaning: “Voyager (through life); blessed.” (Latin origin).|
|Phoenix||Meaning: “Dark red.” (Greek origin).|
|Margo||Meaning: “Pearl.” (French origin).|
|Willa||Meaning: “Will helmet, protection.” (German origin).|
|Nebraska||Meaning: “Flatwater.” (Native American origin).|
|Gloria||Meaning: “Glory.” (Latin origin).|
|Billie||Meaning: “A feminine diminutive of William..” (English origin).|
|Embry||Meaning: “Work Rule.” (English origin).|
|Poet||Meaning: “Writer of poems.” (English origin).|
|Celestia||Meaning: “Heavenly.” (Latin origin).|
|Teagan||Meaning: “Little Poet.” (Irish origin).|
|Constance||Meaning: “Constancy, steadfastness.” (Latin origin).|
|Berkley||Meaning: “Birch tree meadow.” (Scottish origin).|
|Delia||Meaning: “From Delos.” (Greek origin).|
|Pepper||Meaning: “Pepper spice.” (English origin).|
|Alaska||Meaning: “The mainland.” (Native American origin).|
|Ocean||Meaning: “Sea.” ( origin).|
|Sloane||Meaning: “Raid.” (Irish origin).|
|Elspeth||Meaning: “An exotic variant of Elizabeth..” (Scottish origin).|
|Pandora||Meaning: “All gifts.” (Greek origin).|
|Esther||Meaning: “Star.” (Persian origin).|
|Love||Meaning: “Love, affection.” (English origin).|
|Florence||Meaning: “Flowering, in bloom.” (Latin origin).|
|Valencia||Meaning: “Strong, healthy.” (Latin origin).|
|Nelly||Meaning: “A diminutive form of Helen..” (Greek origin).|
|Iris||Meaning: “Rainbow.” (Greek origin).|
|Torrance||Meaning: “Form of Terence.” (English origin).|
|Hadley||Meaning: “Heather meadow.” (English origin).|
|Honey||Meaning: “Nectar.” (English origin).|
|Cecily||Meaning: “Blind; sixth.” (Welsh origin).|
|Sage||Meaning: “Sage plant.” (English origin).|
|Verity||Meaning: “Truth.” (Latin origin).|
|Saskia||Meaning: “The Saxon people.” (Slavic origin).|
|Freya||Meaning: “Lady.” (Scandinavian origin).|
|Maisie||Meaning: “”A little pearl.” A diminutive form of Margaret..” (Scottish origin).|
|Willow||Meaning: “Willow tree.” (English origin).|
|Kory||Meaning: “.” (Greek origin).|
|Indy||Meaning: “Independent or Indian.” (American origin).|
|Camellia||Meaning: “Helper to the priest.” (Latin origin).|
|Aspen||Meaning: “Aspen tree.” (English origin).|
|Dorothy||Meaning: “Gift of God.” (Greek origin).|
|Opal||Meaning: “Gem, jewel.” (Indian (Sanskrit) origin).|
|Una||Meaning: “One.” (Latin origin).|
|Dolly||Meaning: “A variant spelling of Dollie..” (English origin).|
|Amalia||Meaning: “Industrious, striving; work; rival; laborious; eager.” (Latin origin).|
|Agnes||Meaning: “Pure, holy.” (Greek origin).|
|Denali||Meaning: “Great One.” (Native American origin).|
|Snow||Meaning: “Frozen Rain.” (English origin).|
|Astrid||Meaning: “Fair, beautiful goddess.” (Scandinavian origin).|
|Asha||Meaning: “Alive and well.” (Arabic origin).|
|Shae||Meaning: “Admirable.” (Gaelic origin).|
|Lulu||Meaning: “Precious; pearl; calm, peaceful, protected.” (Latin origin).|
|Edie||Meaning: “Strife for wealth.” (English origin).|
|Auden||Meaning: “Half Danish.” (English origin).|
|Skyla||Meaning: “Fugitive.” (English origin).|
|Bluebell||Meaning: “.” ( origin).|
|Kitty||Meaning: “A playful form of Catherine..” (Greek origin).|
|Etta||Meaning: “A diminutive form of Henrietta, “mistress of the home.”.” (Italian origin).|
|Ethel||Meaning: “Noble.” (English origin).|
|Carmella||Meaning: “Garden, orchard.” (Hebrew origin).|
|Collins||Meaning: “Holly.” (Irish origin).|
|Blue||Meaning: “The Color.” (American origin).|
|Veda||Meaning: “Knowledge, wisdom.” (Indian (Sanskrit) origin).|
|Orchid||Meaning: “Flowering plant.” (Latin origin).|
|Ivy||Meaning: “Ivy plant.” (English origin).|
|Imogen||Meaning: “Maiden.” (Irish origin).|
|Dotty||Meaning: “Gift of God.” (Greek origin).|
|Fleur||Meaning: “Flower.” (French origin).|
|Kimber||Meaning: “Cyneburg’s field.” (English origin).|
|Calypso||Meaning: “She who hides.” (Greek origin).|
|Betty||Meaning: “A diminutive form of Elizabeth..” (Hebrew origin).|
|Juno||Meaning: “Queen of heaven.” (Latin origin).|
|Vera||Meaning: “Truth and faith.” (Latin origin).|
|Ember||Meaning: “Smoldering coal.” (English origin).|
|Shirley||Meaning: “Bright meadow.” (English origin).|
|Roxie||Meaning: “Dawn.” (Persian origin).|
|Scout||Meaning: “To listen.” (French origin).|
|Pixie||Meaning: “Fairy.” (Irish origin).|
|Skye||Meaning: “The Isle of Skye.” (English origin).|
|Laurel||Meaning: “The bay, or laurel plant.” (Latin origin).|
|Cali||Meaning: “Good One.” (Greek origin).|
|Frankie||Meaning: “From France.” (Latin origin).|
|Freddie||Meaning: “Elf or magical counsel; peaceful ruler; holy, blessed reconciliation; joy and peace.” (Welsh origin).|
|Winifred||Meaning: “Holy, blessed reconciliation; joy, peace.” (Welsh origin).|
|Alix||Meaning: “Noble.” (German origin).|
|Blossom||Meaning: “Flower-like.” (English origin).|
|Amity||Meaning: “Friendship, harmony.” (Latin origin).|
|Bessie||Meaning: “House; God’s promise; God is my oath.” (Hebrew origin).|
|India||Meaning: “.” (English origin).|
|Peony||Meaning: “Praisegiving.” (Greek origin).|
|Nova||Meaning: “New.” (Latin origin).|
|Fallon||Meaning: “Superiority; descended from a ruler.” (Irish origin).|
Check baby name meanings or explore the best baby names, including famous names,
unusual names, cool names, names by ethnic groups, and many more!Baby Names