When your friends have an upcoming wedding anniversary it’s natural to wonder how to congratulate them. Writing a sweet note of congratulations and best wishes to a friend doesn’t have to be a difficult task. Choose one or more of the following ideas to make writing your celebratory note a simple job:
The use of a thoughtful memory is sweet and sentimental. Consider a memory from their wedding day, or just a special time you spent with them as a couple, to start off your note:
- Do you remember the time…
- I’ll never forget the day…
- After all these years I still think back to…
Choose a classic romance song and write out the lyrics for a creative way to express sentimental thoughts without the pressure of writing them yourself:
- “It's very clear
- Our love is here to stay
- Not for a year, but forever and a day” –Frank Sinatra
- “We're like a flower to a tree
- Like words to a melody of love” –Natalie Cole
- “Love ain't a drug
- Despite what you've heard
- Yeah love ain't a thing
- Love is a verb” –John Mayer
Quotes can be inspirational. Starting off with a good quote makes it much easier to add your own words without feeling like they don’t say enough.
- “Being loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” –Lao Tzu
- “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies” –Aristotle
- “Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.” –James A. Baldwin
- “Love is always bestowed as a gift – freely, willingly and without expectation. We don't love to be loved; we love to love.” –Leo Buscaglia
- “Marriage: Love is the reason. Lifelong friendship is the gift. Kindness is the cause. Til’ death do us part is the length.” –Fawn Weaver
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” –Audrey Hepburn
One of the best things to write on a note celebrating the married success of your friends is your heartfelt appreciation for them as a couple. Let your friends know what it is about them that you find helpful, a good example, or sweet. Don't try to flatter them–be honest.
- Your wonderful example of married life has taught me a lot about dedication and commitment. Thank you for that.
- I have appreciated getting to know you both as a couple. You obviously have fun together, and that makes it enjoyable to hang out with you.
- It is so sweet to watch how much you both enjoy being together.
- You make marriage look easy–I know it’s a lot of work, but you make a great husband and wife team.
If you are writing your message to a younger couple, then it is appropriate (and can be sweet) to pass down a little advice. If you are giving a card to an older couple (or a peer), then you may want to give humorous advice instead.
- Romantic moments are wonderful, but commit for a lifetime and prepare for hard work in between.
- Say yes more than you say no.
- Be slow to get mad, and quick to apologize.
- The secret to a great married life contains two key words: “Yes, Dear.”
It’s always nice to conclude your note with a future wish for a couple.
- Here’s hoping you enjoy many more years to come.
- We wish you all the best as you continue this journey together.
- I love you both and can’t wait to see what the future holds for you!
- I look forward to
- Congratulations on your anniversary and all those to come.
- We hope the years to come are even better than this one!
Putting It Together
Now it’s time to put everything together. Use a creative beginning (a memory, song title, or quote), add a personal thought (advice or why they are inspirational to you), and finish with a future hope. Adding these elements together may result in something like this:
“Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies” –Aristotle
Your wonderful example of marriage has taught me a lot about dedication and commitment. Thank you for that. It is so sweet to watch how much you both enjoy being together. Congratulations on your anniversary and all those to come.
Short, sweet, and to the point. These simple steps will help you produce thoughtful notes to the friends you care so much about.