Everyone dreams of his/her birthday, and special occasions to be celebrated in the most fascinating ways. The birthday parties, graduation dinners, anniversaries etc. are one of the special moments that each one of us dies to wait for. Among youngsters and children, parents also have a right to hold special occasions celebrated to cherish them up. Just like Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, the Parents’ day is celebrated in honor of both fathers and mothers on the fourth Sunday of every July. In this way, it will be celebrated on July 28th, 2013. Let’s explore the celebrations associated with the Parents’ day.
What is Parents' Day?
The people of all races and cultures have been celebrating the Parents’ day since 1994. By then, it has been made an official ‘national holiday’ to celebrate and give wonderful wishes to the parents. This day is celebrated in order to honor your parents and appreciate their hard work and role in your family and society. The celebrations of a Parents’ day also include arrangement of surprising events such as setting a contest of ‘Parents of the Year’ and getting your parents nominated in it!
Parents' Day around the world
Though Parents’ Day is not observed on the same day in every country, but majority of countries in the world including US celebrate it on fourth Sunday of July. Other countries like Korea celebrates The Parents’ Day on May 8 every year, whereas Vietnam celebrates it on July 7.
Parents' Day in United States
The Parents’ day is celebrated on the fourth Sunday of every July in the United States. In 1994, this event came into being when the President Bill Clinton signed a Congressional Resolution into law (36 U.S.C. § 135). That bill was introduced for the identification and encouragement of the support which parents give to their children. It was introduced Republican Senator Trent Lott. This bill was also appreciated and approved by the Unification Church which celebrates the Parents’ day by making a holiday. However, they celebrate it on a different date. The United States Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg appreciated the celebrations of the Parents’ day by saying,
“The Parents’ day must be celebrated in place of Mother's Day and Father's Day. It must be done in order to eliminate the gender discrimination which is often made in parental roles. A strict policy must be made regarding it.”
The United States celebrate the Parents' day to recognize and appreciate the role of parents in the lives of their children. Moreover, this day also gives a message for the parents to be more responsible and show positive parental attitude toward their children. In short, the celebrations on this day are meant to rejoice the connection of love and affection between parental figures and their children.
Parents' Day 2013, 2014 and further
If you need to know the exact date of Parents' Day here's a chart that shows what date the Parents' Day is celebrated from 2013 – 2030.
|Parents' Day 2013||July 28, 2013||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2014||July 27, 2014||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2015||July 26, 2015||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2016||July 24, 2016||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2017||July 23, 2017||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2018||July 22, 2018||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2019||July 28, 2019||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2020||July 26, 2020||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2021||July 25, 2021||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2022||July 24, 2022||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2023||July 23, 2023||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2024||July 28, 2024||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2025||July 27, 2025||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2026||July 26, 2026||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2027||July 25, 2027||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2028||July 23, 2028||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2029||July 22, 2029||Sunday|
|Parents' Day 2030||July 28, 2030||Sunday|
Parents' Day Activities
The Parents' day has been celebrated in many societies in different ways such as organizing events or arranging activities for families. Even if your town or community does not make any special arrangement regarding this day, you can make your own celebrations at home for showing your love, appreciation and acre for your parents. Let’s look at the some of the attractive indoor and outdoor activities which you can do to celebrate your Parents' day:
- Make your room clean. Don’t frown, it will surely make them happiest!
- Have a dinner with them in their favorite restaurant
- Surprise them with a party!
- Buy them a gift or make any creative one.
- Don’t think that your wishes and celebrations for them must be large or most expensive. Even little words of appreciation and true feelings are enough to make them realize your unconditional love for them.
- Plan and go on a family hike
- Go with your parents on a picnic party
- Enjoy the night by playing special games with your parents
- Cook a delicious dinner for your parents
- Go to the beach with your parents and enjoy playing outdoor games
- Give special surprises such as by doing chores
- Celebrate the night by watching one of the favorite movies of your parents
- If your parents have a special hobby like collecting stamps or learning carpentry, join them and have fun following their hobbies with them
- The best thing you can do is to make something out of your creation. For example, make a card yourself and write funny or emotional verses to make them feel your love for them.
- Bake snacks for them such as cookies!