When Grief and Birthdays Happen: Some Heartfelt Messages
Life isn’t all good times. Major setbacks and life-changing losses are bound to happen in every life, but when these events occur so close to a celebratory event such as birthdays, sharing traditionally chirpy greetings may not be appropriate for the occasion.
How do you Wish Someone a Happy Birthday when they are Going through Difficult Times?
It is important to acknowledge the person’s loss and affirm your understanding that this is a difficult time for them. Avoid minimizing their feelings of loss and desperation by admitting that you cannot fully fathom their situation before offering your support in whatever way possible. Make sure not to over-promise so that if your friend or loved one should take you up on your offer, you can deliver. Keep the message genuine, brief and earnest.
Birthday wishes for Someone who Lost a Job
- Just a little note to let you know that I’m thinking of you on your birthday. I’m sorry to hear that you got the pink slip so close to your birthday. But, there’s a silver lining, and it’s coming.
- No matter how disappointed you are about losing your job, I know that you’ll pull through. You have so much grit and talent that you’ll find another one in no time. Again, wishing you the best on your birthday.
- Celebrating is furthest from your mind after a recent job loss. Still, I want you to know that I’m here if you need a shoulder to cry on, a friend to listen to you rant, or a buddy to share a boozy non-celebration of your birthday.
- Sending you a basket of good wishes and all the luck in the world as you mark a milestone birthday and start another job-hunting adventure.
- Think of it this way: Losing your job is the universe telling you that you deserve a better one. Have a great birthday.
- Sometimes we have to lose something to be able to move forward. Every job is a stepping stone to the next one, which is bound to be bigger, brighter, and more promising.
Birthday Wishes for a Bereaved Friend
- This is the first birthday you will be marked without your beloved partner, and it must be devastating. I wish there was something special I could do for you, but I’m here if you need anything.
- I’m genuinely sorry that your long-time love is no longer here to celebrate your birthday. Still, you’ll always have lovely memories of the beautiful years you spent together. Stay strong.
- We won’t pretend that we can understand the crushing loss you recently suffered from your spouse’s passing. Still, we will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers on your birthday and always.
- I wish our dad was still around to see the extraordinary human that you’ve become. He would be so proud of you. So go ahead and celebrate your birthday today because that is what he would want you to do.
- I debated whether I should send you this birthday message after your recent loss. However, I understand that you won’t feel like celebrating on this day, so I’m sending you love and warm hugs. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Birthday Wishes for Someone who Got Divorced
- I am so sorry that your partner won’t be with you as you mark your birthday today. Cherish the good memories and believe that better days are coming.
- Ending a long-term relationship is not a birthday banger, and I feel for you. But, if you need someone to listen or pour the drinks or pick up the pizza, I’m here for you.
- People come and go in our lives, but dealing with a divorce on your birthday can be extra painful. There were good times and bad times, and there will be better days ahead as surely as the sun rises in the morning. Wishing you strength, faith, and hope on your birthday.
- Sometimes, endings are beginnings. You’re hurting from your divorce and won’t feel like celebrating your birthday. I just want you to know that when you’re ready, I’m right here to help in whatever way I can and to toast to your new beginning.
- You are brave; you are strong. This divorce may feel like a huge letdown right now, but sometimes we have to let someone go when it’s no longer good for us. So look at this birthday as a time to let go of the past and look forward to a brighter tomorrow.
Birthday Messages for Someone Who is Too Old to Get Out of the House
- I am hoping that this message will cheer you up on your birthday. It’s not easy to be housebound when you’ve always been the life of the party, and I wish I could be with you on your birthday.
- I remember the good old days when we partied from dusk to dawn on our birthdays. Of course, times change, and life moves on, but we will always have the glorious memories to hold dear, especially on special occasions such as today.
- In honor of your birthday today, I will drive by all our old haunts to remember the good times and our glory days. Happy birthday, my dear friend.
- Enjoy your birthday with cake, steak, and champagne. Actually, enjoy your birthday any way you want while in the privacy of your home. I wish I could have been there with you.
- Here’s to good times gone by, to great friends who live on in our hearts, and to birthdays that become more precious as our milestone years turn to milestone decades. Cheers!
- Our wild party days may be over, but we’re still here. So consider this your permission to dance and drink to your heart’s content on your birthday. You’ve had a great life, and you deserve everything.