Best Man Wedding Speech Tips, Ideas, and Toast Examples
Being asked to be the best man during a wedding ceremony is one of the highest honors you can receive when being a part of a wedding. One of the duties given to the best man is to write and deliver a speech during the reception dinner. This speech is expected to be classy, funny and sentimental all at the same time. It is important to acknowledge that the wedding couple has carefully chosen who they want by their side on this very special day, so try and make the speech all about the happy couple. When giving the speech it is often clever to throw in funny jokes or stories to get the crowd laughing and involved.
Tips for Giving an Amazing Best Man Wedding Speech
- Plan on timing your speech just under 5 minutes because there are often numerous speeches made and the longer they last the more likely the guests will get bored.
- Take the time to write and practice your speech ahead of time, the more time given to write and prepare the speech will result in the best man delivering the speech confidently and effortlessly.
- When writing the material for the speech it is most considerate to thank all the guests for attending and being apart of the special day. In addition to thanking the guests it’s also polite to thank the bride and groom’s parents for making everything come together so nicely.
- After the speech has been written and its time to deliver it to a room filled with people it’s a good idea to explain who you are and what your relationship to the bride and groom is.
- Try telling a funny or sentimental story about the bride or groom which will make the speech more entertaining for the people listening to you who may not know who you are.
- Writing a speech can be a stressful situation but the most important thing to remember is to be yourself and don’t take it too seriously. Speak from the heart while being kind and considerate, all the right words will naturally come to you.
- Some people may get nervous when it comes to public speaking and may look to alcohol to calm the nerves before giving a speech, but the best advice is to resist the temptation to drink alcohol until after the speech is delivered. Alcohol can make individuals say things they would not say if they were sober which could lead to the individual embarrassing themselves or the bride and groom.
- Samples and Tips for Great Wedding Speeches and Toasts
- Toasting Tips: How to get it Right
A few examples of a best mans’s speech may sound a little like this:
- Good afternoon, for those of you who don’t know me, my name is (Best Man) and I am one of (Groom’s) best friends. I stand here before you to congratulate my best friend and his beautiful wife on tying the knot and moving into the next chapter of their lives. I would like to thank everyone for coming out and helping us celebrate this happy day of matrimony. (Groom) gave me the honor of being his best man and I am truly honored to be here today to be apart of this life changing event.
(Bride and Groom), I am witness to the love and admiration that you two share for one another. I want to wish you a life long of happiness and wedded bliss. (Groom) I am so happy that you have found the one to share your life with.
Congratulations to Mr./Mrs. (Last Name).
- Good evening everyone, On behalf of (Groom & Bride), I want to thank everyone for attending the beautiful wedding ceremony today and for joining us tonight for dinner and dancing. My name is (Best Man), and I am (Groom’s) Best Man. I have known (Groom) for over 20 years and I have never seen him look at anyone as he looks at his beautiful wife (Bride’s name). Since (Groom) met (Bride) his whole life has changed. All us friends are witness to the transformation (Bride) has had on (Groom).
We are all so happy for you and wish nothing but the best for you two. Congratulations to (Bride & Groom)!
- Inspiring Wedding Quotes to Use in your Wedding Toast
- (Groom & Bride), we are all so happy for you two. Marriage is the blending of two lives to become one. You two will now have eachother to share your lives, your dreams and aspirations. As husband and wife love and cherish eachother everyday. Never go to bed angry and compromise will work in disagreements. (Groom & Bride) are truly meant for eachother and we all congratualte you and wish you a life of happiness, health and prosperiety.
- Hello everyone, I am (Best man name) (Groom’s) Best man, I am up here to congratulate two of my favorite people On their wedding day. For those of you who don’t know the story, I introduced (Bride) to (Groom) over 5 years ago, and it took (Groom) this long to have enough courage to ask (Bride) to marry him. All these years of flirting and dating have lead up to this amazing day. I am so happy for the two of you and I am so proud that it is me speaking on your behalf on your wedding day only years after introducing you two. I wish you a healthy life filled with happiness, joy and pure love.
Congratulations (Bride & Groom), I couldn’t be happier for you.
- Today we are here to celebrate the love and commitment between (Bride & Groom). We are all witness to the bond that these two share. (Bride & Groom) had the option to choose who ever they wanted to be part of their special day, and they chose all of us. Each one of us has made some type of impact in the lives of the Bride and Groom for them to want us apart of their special day. I want to personally thank everyone for coming to spend this special day with (Groom & Bride’s) friends, family and loved ones. All of us being here to celebrate and witness their love is something (Groom & Bride) will always cherish and remember. Let’s all raise a glass and toast to this amazing couple that we all have grown to love.
- Wedding Wishes
- (Bride and Groom) – It is an honor to stand here before you and I would to take this opportunity to begin with a short speech. A wise man one told me that magical things happen when we least expect it. I sometimes totally disagree with that. Why? Because as you all know, this day had been planned for many months yet it is filled with magical things. I have known (Groom) for a number of years, and I can’t recall a time when he was happier than today. He is always smiling when he is with (Bride) making him look younger. I think all the magical things we are witnessing is because of their love. Though love is greatest of all, sometimes (Bride and Groom) you will disagree and fight but with it you can overcome anything life throws at you. Congratulations.
- I would like to take this precious time on behave of (Bride and Groom) to thank all of you for attending this eye-catching wedding today. In case you are wondering who I am, I am the best man and my name is (name of the Best Man). I admit that, once (Groom) met with (Bride), everything changed for the better for him – he was completely obsessed. He started taking phone calls in quiet tones, taking more time on telephone lines and walking around in a bewilderment with a crazy look on his face. But the truth of the matter is, I have never seen him so happy and content. I wish you joy, happiness and good health in your life together.
- I am the best man and would like to make a toast to (Bride and Groom). My name is (name of the Best Man), and we have been friend with (Groom) since fourth grade. Hey! That is a long time. If I remember well, back then we were more attracted to computers than girls, then come football but finally one way or another we ended up being attracted to girls. After witnessing (Bride and Groom) love journey, I can say, the years we spent on football and computers were worthwhile – my friend, (Groom), may even start a love blog. Let’s appreciate the Bride and the Groom!
- I always thought I can write the greatest of all Best Man toast. Little did I know it is not easy find the right words to describe to magical people in love! To tell the truth, I spent countless hours on the search engine trying to through Tibetan wisdom journals, vows, wedding poetry and anything I could find giving an insight on the Best Man’s appropriate words. Alas! All in vain. Thus, all I would like to say is I shed tears of joy when (Groom) gave me the good news about asking (Bride) to spend the rest of his life with her. My joy exemplified when I heard the answer was a big YES. (Bride and Groom) you are inseparable!
- (Groom) and I spent two college years in the same room, and from then I can’t think of a better friend. What a day this is! When we were on college (Groom) never had a girl or show any interest in them, thus, I always kept my doubts that this will happen. I can’t hold the joy and happiness I have for them. Toast for surprising me and learning so many things about ladies because you have picked well. I only want to advise you to lock down all college books very far away and give your married the time it deserves. (Bride) take good care of my friend.