Maid of Honor Wedding Toast Examples, Quotes and Tips
Have you been asked to offer the bridesmaid toast at your best friend’s wedding? Don’t be intimidated by the idea; there is a reason you are the maid of honor. The bride has confidence in you. Stick to the following ten tips and you’ll deliver a “Kodak Moment” speech that everyone will remember.
10 Tips for a Great Maid of Honor Speech
- Take the job seriously and begin your speech a few weeks before the wedding. “Killer” extemporaneous toasts usually only happen in the movies, so do the bride the honor of preparing her toast well. Research stories and make sure you have your facts straight. When you have it written, ask a trusted friend to read it. When it is finished, practice it several times in front of the mirror. Plan what to do with your hands and work on keeping your beautiful smile throughout.
- Make your toast personal, but you can use a traditional format as a pattern: say how happy you are to be invited, thank the bride and her parents for their hospitality; talk about the bride, including anecdotes and stories; include the groom and give some appropriate advice or offer some touching thoughts; end by raising the glass in a traditional toast. This template can be altered, but it provides a place to begin writing your speech.
- Keep it short. This is not the time to tell the bride’s life story (or yours).
- Be true to yourself. If you are a serious person, don’t try to deliver a comedy monologue. The bride loves you for yourself, so that’s who you should be when you deliver your toast.
- Be original and stay away from clichés. Instead of talking about how sweet the bride is, give examples. Tell stories about her humor or her kindness, even her “blond moments.” In other words, paint the bride’s portrait with words.
- Never bring up former boyfriends or husbands.
- Tips for Great Wedding Speeches and Toasts
- Introduce yourself at the beginning of your speech; tell how you and the bride know one another and how long you have been friends.
- Begin with the bride, and spend most of your time talking about her, but end with the couple. Talk about their obvious love and about how they have changed for the better since meeting each other. Mention their goals or life philosophies if you know them.
- How To Get Your Toast Right
- Keep your speech “easy on the I’s.” Remember that this is the bride’s day. Focus on her. Make sure she is the main character in each anecdote and the subject of each praise.
- Forget “inside jokes” or crass humor. The wedding guests are from a variety of backgrounds and not all are close to the family, so stay on the positive side.
Maid of Honor Speech Examples that you can Adapt Yourself
- If you would like to have a little more inspiration, here are some maid-of-honor toasts you might like to incorporate into your speech.
- My name is _________ and I have known _________ since we attended kindergarten together. I am so happy to be here to celebrate _______’s happy day, and I want to thank ____’s family for inviting me.
________ has the kindest heart I have known. (Tell one example of her kindness) She looks for that quality in others, too. That is why I know these two are so perfect for one another. My wish for them is a long and happy marriage, measuring success not only by the things they accumulate but by the people who want to be part of their lives.
- I am __________ and I would like to welcome you today. I want to thank ___________’s parents, for hosting this lovely occasion for all of us. ____________ and I have been friends since she ( add an anecdote).
I confess I didn’t know about ______________until a few weeks ago. The bride probably thought I would try to snatch him away from her, but one look into his eyes tells you he is hers. Please help me to toast __________’s and ____________’s marriage and to join me in wishing them every happiness in their future.
- My name is _____________and I am bride’s name’s cousin (or other family member). When we were children we played together and got in trouble together. ( Give anecdote). We dreamed about fairy tale weddings and I am glad to see that bride’s name got her Prince Charming.
- Welcome, everyone, to the reception for my friend bride’s name, and her handsome groom groom’s name. My name is ____________ and I have been bride’s name’s best fiend for ____years. You may think you know her, but one thing you may be surprised at is that she is so smart that she once (add anecdote about Bride’s intelligence). That’s why I am not surprised she chose groom’s name. She knows a good thing when she sees him.
- My name is _______________ and I would like to thank bride’s name for honoring me as her maid-of-honor. As her best friend for ___years, I could tell you many stories about her youth but she has paid me well to be still about that. Instead, I will tell you that she is a dear and a loyal friend and I am so happy for her to have found someone of like character to be her husband. When she first told me about groom’s name, she said ( add anecdote) and I knew she was hooked. One look at him says he’s “caught” too.
- Hi everybody, looking back till now, it is with greater joy that I am among the many who celebrating the union between my loving sister (bride) and her loving husband (groom). I am absolutely honored and gifted to stand beside you to witness share this special day of your life. As my childhood to adulthood friend, we’ve shared a lot of memories. It started from toys, rooms, books, up to this special day. This day, I have found peace in my heart because I have always wanted the best to you (bride).
- I take this opportunity to hail everyone who has turned up at this place to witness the union of these two special people I our lives. For those who do not know me, my names are (…..). With the privilege of being the (bride’s) best maid, I can’t deny the emotional feeling that thrill through my heart. I remember how it all started. In my mind, I never knew it would get this deeper. Years down the line, here we are celebrating their union. They were really meant for each other. To the newlywed couple, you are looking absolutely stunning. I wish you God’s guidance in everything you do. Thank you
- Upon being approached by the bride with a request of being her maid of honor in her wedding, I wondered why it had to be me. I tried to put together the picture that I painted in my mind but all was in vain. I have personally shared sweet and bitter experiences with the bride. I assure the groom that the selection you made was absolutely right. This day, I crack a smile and laugh with each and every individual who has turned up to witness and give hope to the newly wed. My God Almighty guide and protect this new family.
- How gorgeous and stunning you (bride) are in that beautiful dress. From a distance, I can feel the warmth in your heart, the smile in your face, and the joy all over your face. Despite being born in a family where I am the only girl, you have always been as a big sister to me. Watching you get married fills my heart with joy. As you start the journey of marriage, ma you be strong and let your husband (groom) be your pillar. Thank you
- Seeing a good friend getting married is an inspiration. Just to let the secret out, you have been my role model. It is time to say goodbye to blind dates, single men, and teenage things. Find a place in your heart to understand each other and all will be well in your family.
Wedding Toast Quotes to Use in your Speech
- Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years. That is what makes a marriage last.- By Simone Signoret
- Everyone admits that love is wonderful and necessary, yet no one agrees on just what it is. – By Diane Ackerman
- In a great romance, each person plays a part the other really likes. – By Elizabeth Ashley
- We can not do great things; only small things with great love. – By Mother Teresa
- Love does not consist of gazing at one another but in looking outward in the same direction. – By Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- Infatuation is when you think that he’s as sexy as Robert Redford, as smart as Henry Kissinger, as noble as Ralph Nader, as funny as Woody Allen, and as athletic as Jimmy Connors. Love is when you realize that he’s as sexy as Woody Allen, as smart as Jimmy Connors, as funny as Ralph Nader, as athletic as Henry Kissinger, and nothing like Robert Redford – By but you’ll take him anyway. – By Judith Viorst
- Love is the lifespring of our existence. The more love you give, the happier you feel and the more love you will have within you to give.- By Susan L. Taylor
- Love, be true to her; Life, be dear to her; Health, stay close to her; Joy, draw near to her; Fortune, find what you can do for her, Search your treasure-house through and through for her, Follow her footsteps the wide world over, And keep her husband always her lover.- By Anna Lewis, “To the Bride”
- Never is true love blind, but rather brings an added light.- By Phoebe Cary
- One of the best things about love is just recognizing a man’s steps when he climbs the stairs. – By Colette
- The best marriages, like the best lives, were both happy and unhappy. There was even a kind of necessary tension, a certain tautness between the partners that gave the marriage strength, like the tautness of a full sail. – By Anne Morrow Lindbergh (Dearly Beloved)
- The capacity to love is tied to being able to be awake, to being able to move out of yourself and be with someone else in a manner that is not about your desire to possess them, but to be with them, to be in union and communion. – By Bell Hooks
- There is no greater happiness for a man than approaching a door at the end of a day, knowing someone on the other side of that door is waiting for the sound of his footsteps.
- Where there is great love, there are always miracles. – By Willa Cather